Understanding reverse DNS location vs VPS location
Some websites (VPS- and IP test sites) indicate "DNS locations". This just means they're telling you where the DNS servers (responsible for linking an IP address to a hostname) they queried your IP address for are located. A "mismatch" might be puzzling for some users. It's crucial to understand that the indicated "DNS location" isn't a measure of service quality.
At EDIS Global, we use a smart DNS system called Anycast DNS. Think of it like a GPS that always guides you to the closest grocery store.
- When you or anyone else tries to find out the hostname linked to a VPS' IP address, our system ensures they're pointed to the closest of 50+ special DNS servers.
- But here's a key point: Which special DNS servers are used, depends on the test sites location. Anycast routes queries to the closest DNS servers.
- VPS and rDNS locations will only show the same country if both your VPS and the website you're testing from are in the same country.
A PTR (Pointer) record is a vital DNS record type, linking an IP address back to a hostname. Unlike typical DNS records, such as A records which guide domain names to IP addresses, a reverse PTR record directs an IP address to a domain name.
- Email Deliverability: PTR records protect the integrity of your emails. Without them, many email servers might disregard incoming mails, associating them with spammers who often employ invalid IPs.
- Trustworthiness: A PTR record boosts the credibility of an IP address, linking it to a known domain.
- Troubleshooting: PTR records are invaluable for diagnostics and network troubleshooting, offering a quick and efficient way to spot issues tied to particular hostnames and their linked IP addresses.
Employing the power of Anycast DNS to resolve reverse pointers (PTR records), EDIS Global stands out with its expansive network. We operate a global network with 51 nameservers spanning two distinct clouds.
- Multiple Points of Presence (PoPs): We boast 51 nameservers (PoPs) scattered across two cloud platforms. Every PoP announces the same nameserver IP address to the broader internet using the anycast internet-protocol.
- Routing: For every DNS query, network routers identify the nearest PoP based on the shortest pathway, assuring rapid response times.
- Redundancy: Our robust network ensures uninterrupted service. If a PoP is temporarily out of order, traffic flows to the nearest active PoP seamlessly.
- Cloud 1: Amsterdam // Atlanta // Chicago // Dallas // Dublin // Frankfurt // Hongkong // Johannesburg // London //] Los Angeles // Madrid // Melbourne // Miami // Moscow // Mumbai // New York // Paris // Reykjavik // Rheintal // Salzburg // Sao Paulo // Seattle // Singapore // Stockholm // Tokyo // Warsaw // Vienna // Zurich
- Cloud 2: Amsterdam // Athens // Chicago // Dallas // Dubai // Frankfurt // Geneva // Hong Kong // Johannesburg // Ljubljana // London // Miami // Reston // San Jose // Sao Paulo // Seattle // Seoul // Sydney // Tampere // Tokyo // Toronto // Vienna
- Low Latency: Our vast network promises swift response times.
- High Availability: With two separate clouds, we assure continuous service even in the face of potential cloud outages.
- Resilience Against DDoS: Our system disperses DDoS traffic, protecting against potential attacks.
- Automatic Failover: Our network reroutes traffic autonomously in case of PoP issues.
- Scalability: We're equipped to expand our network according to your needs.
- Consistent Experience: Every user enjoys a uniformly efficient experience, thanks to our globally dispersed network.
The DNS location is dynamic, depending on the user's (including test server's) location. For instance, a UK-based user will receive rDNS queries from UK nameservers, while a USA-based user will get results from USA nameservers. A China based test-script will indicate an Asian DNS location, independent of the VPS location itself.
Important Takeaway: The location of the reverse DNS is not indicative of the VPS location. While your VPS itself (the installed OS) might use Google- or Cloudflare DNS, the reverse PTR delegation for your IP addresses harnesses EDIS Global's ANYCAST DNS.
Essentially, there is always a (negligible) difference between the reverse DNS name server location and the VPS location. Rest assured that with EDIS Global your operations are optimized for speed, reliability and efficiency.