How to Install Debian on HPE DL360 Gen10 using Remote Media on ILO5
HPE's Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) 5 offers remote server management capabilities, including installing an OS using remote media. If you're aiming to install Debian on an HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10 server using the remote media feature of iLO 5, follow these steps:
- Ensure your server's iLO 5 interface is configured and accessible over the network.
- Download the Debian ISO you want to install from the official website.
- Ensure your local machine can access the iLO web interface of the server.
2. Access the iLO 5 Interface:
- From your computer, open a web browser.
- Navigate to the iLO 5 IP address (e.g., https://[iLO IP address]).
- Log in with your iLO credentials.
3. Launch the Integrated Remote Console:
- From the iLO dashboard, navigate to the Remote Console section.
- Click on Launch to open the Integrated Remote Console. Depending on your browser and iLO settings, this might require Java or might open as an HTML5 application.
4. Mount the Debian ISO:
- In the Remote Console window, navigate to the Media menu at the top.
- Select Virtual Drives > Image File CDROM/DVD.
- Browse and select the Debian ISO you want to mount. It will now act as if you've inserted this media directly into the server.
5. Boot from the Virtual Media:
- If your server is currently on, you'll need to restart it. You can do this from the Remote Console or by using the iLO power controls.
- During the POST (Power-On Self Test), press F11 to invoke the Boot Menu.
- Select the virtual CD/DVD drive with your Debian ISO as the boot device.
6. Debian Installation:
- The Debian Installer menu will appear.
- Proceed with the Debian installation as you would with a physical media installation. Choose either "Graphical install" or "Install" based on your preference and follow the on-screen prompts.
7. Completion and Cleanup:
- After the Debian installation finishes, it might prompt you to remove the installation media and press enter. Before doing that, go back to the Media menu in the Remote Console.
- Select Virtual Drives > Disconnect to unmount the Debian ISO.
- Now, follow the prompt in the Debian Installer (press Enter) to complete the setup.
Your HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10 server should now boot into Debian. Make sure to adjust any BIOS/UEFI settings beforehand if you need to change boot order or any other configurations.